Re: Looking for studies about maximum TOC length

Subject: Re: Looking for studies about maximum TOC length
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 10:26:45 +0200

You wrote:
----------
From: Gillian Campbell
Sent: Fri, 14 Aug.98 16:45 PM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: Looking for studies about maximum TOC length

Does anyone know about any studies or articles that recommend maximum
page lengths for TOCs?

I couldn't find any information about this topic in the archives.

Gillian

To which Reuven replies:

The TOC is, as the TOC becomes.

We just had a post from someone with a 250 page document.
Obviously, her TOC will be somewhat longer than the one for my latest 60 page effort.

The TOC is a list of the important headings in your document, and should accurately reflect the contents thereof.
Asking how long the TOC to be is like asking how long a mna's legs should be.
Abraham Lincoln said,"Long enough to reach the ground."
I would like to think that he meant, "Long enough to get the job done."
It's the same with your TOC.

If you feel that your TOC is going to run so long that people will miss seeing all the topics, write a Preface or Introduction that precedes the TOC and Overview your document there.

"Take care of your TOC, and it will take care of you."
"Thou shalt not inpinge on the function of the TOC."

If I had more time, I'd write something with a Hickory, dickory, TOC...
but,...
back to work.

Best of Luck,
HTH