Re: SONATA = Situation ON Allocating Time for Additionalities (fwd)

Subject: Re: SONATA = Situation ON Allocating Time for Additionalities (fwd)
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:54:02 -0700

> DILEMMA: I would like to do this, primarily for the money, but I don't
> want to harm the relationship I have with my current full-time employer.
> I could perhaps handle this as a true *moonlight*, without ever telling
> my employer what's going on except that I need to take time off for the
> out-of-town trips (more than my vacation entitlement, which would be
> unpaid). But I'd rather not do that. I have a family, etc.

Definitely tell your employer what you want to do. It is quite possible
that, in that flurry of papers you had to sign when you started working
there, you indicated you wouldn't take on additional
outside-of-the-workplace work. I know that I'm currently clarifying this
issue before I sign papers for my current employer (we were just
acquired), so that I can continue with an ongoing contract that I've had
for over 2 years. You may have also signed something saying that
everything you do, 24-7, is the property of your employer. If this is the
case, then anything you do for your contract is the property of your
full-time employer. Not so good.

These are good reasons to tell your employer what you want to do. Plus,
IMHO, it's just the right thing to do.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=