Re: Website readability

Subject: Re: Website readability
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:03:29 -0400

Sans-serif fonts are easiest to read on the web, especially if your page
has a textured or colored background. Best font overall is Verdana. It
was created specifically for the web and has "fatter" characters for
better readability.

Colors are a matter of preference. Soft pale-colored backgrounds are
generally preferred by most viewers, although clients often prefer the
flash of brightly colored or textured backgrounds. Whatever background
you choose, use a high-contrast font. Black, navy, maroon, or dark teal
text on a cream, soft yellow or white background is a good choice for
long, scrolling pages with lots of text, and can look very classic too.
A word of caution: long, scrolling pages are generally disliked by most
web visitors. Consider chunking the info onto different pages with
attractive links to the pages. This is easier on your visitor's eyes,
brain, and mouse hand.

Use a few images to give your pages some visual interest, but don't go
crazy with them. Most visitors to a web site don't like waiting for a
lot of images to load.

Hope this helps!

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com