Re: RoboHelp: to upgrade, or stand pat?

Subject: Re: RoboHelp: to upgrade, or stand pat?
From: Janet Ring <janet -at- LIVEPICTURE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:46:48 -0700

George,

In my experience RoboHelp 5 does not work with MS Word 97, but only with MS
Word 95.
We recently upgraded to RoboHelp 6 and found a major incompatibility with
MS Word 97. Numbered lists will not align correctly, occasionally revert to
the number 1 for all steps, and you have to format each numbered list to
restart at 1 (otherwise, continuous numbering takes over throughout the
document).

The only workaround I found is to format all procedural steps to a style
such as Indented, which is once removed from the Normal text style.
Manually number each procedural step and format the paragraph style as you
wish. Your procedural steps will hold that format. (When I attempted this
using Normal text style, Word reverted to its autonumbering tricks and
problems.)

There are some features in RoboHelp 6 that are convenient and helpful, plus
our company is using Word 97 for all docs, so it was worth it for me to use
the manual numbering fix. However, if you're happy using RoboHelp 5 with
Word 95 you can stay with that.

Good luck. I'm interested in hearing others' experience with this RoboHelp
6 upgrade. Personally, I think the incompatibility should have been fixed
between RoboHelp 6 and Word 97 before RoboHelp 6 was released. We were not
happy that we paid for the upgrade and found such a big problem.

Janet Ring
Senior Technical Writer
Live Picture, Inc.
Campbell, CA