Re: Website readability--blue text?

Subject: Re: Website readability--blue text?
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:55:35 -0400

As someone with excellent color perception, I was surprised to learn that
many males are color blind (approximately 20% of the entire male population)
and they often cannot detect the standard green hyperlink color in my first
online help project. Research in 1993 revealed most males experience the
greatest difficulty detecting reds and greens.

After adding a "How to Change the Default Hyperlink Text Color" topic to the
Tips section of the help project, many employees--including a few women--
changed customized their default hyperlink color to dark blue. Everyone
lived happily ever after.

I, too, have great difficulty reading dark text (especially reds and blues)
displayed against black backgrounds.

Roy

Sella Rush wrote:

> Something I expected to see in this thread--but didn't--was the assertion
> that blue is a difficult color for reading. (Although maybe this is so
> commonly known that is doesn't bear discussing.)
>
> One of my classes covered documentation design and included an extensive
> section on the physical aspects of color and vision. Two years later, I'm
> really fuzzy on this (sorry Prof. Williams!) but I'm sure of the conclusion.

> Hopefully someone will offer corrections or alternative viewpoints to this
> position.
>
> Personally, I like a very dark blue, just as a change from black.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=