Re: Alternative way to say strongly?

Subject: Re: Alternative way to say strongly?
From: Richard Guziewicz <rkg -at- WORLDNET -dot- FR>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:50:04 +0200

SNIP

> > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on an alternative way
> > to say "strongly
> > recommends."

SNIP

> You may be overlooking the real problem, however. It's my experience
> that we writers use "should" or "strongly recommends" when what we
> really mean is "must" or "requires". We cop out with "should" and
> "strongly recommends" because we don't want to seem rude or
> overbearing.
> Unfortunately, readers tend to take these phrases a little too
> literally
> and see them as offering an acceptable alternative which is, in fact,
> not acceptable at all.

Yes, for translators, one of the biggest resource hogs is trying to
digest corporate gobbledygook, PC, euphemisms, marketing-speak, and
anything else that is by definition ambiguous, equivocal, vague or
obscure.

By all means ask yourself "What does this really mean?" before sending
something off for translation. If you can't edit the source text for
clarity, one of the greatest favors you could do for yourself and your
translators would be to provide a glossary : "When we say this what we
really mean is [blank]".

Do trust competent professional translators to do their jobs
competently and professionaly, but don't expect them to work miracles.
Although most translators are paid by the word, they have deadlines to
meet, too, and when faced with last minute decisions they ultimately
have to make an educated guess and "hope for the best". I assure you
they do not appreciate being in such a position, as it puts their
reputations on the line every time.

===================================
Richard Guziewicz
Corporate Communications Consultant