Re: Jumpless Index Entries

Subject: Re: Jumpless Index Entries
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:10:42 -0700

I think that the "broken link" argument is invalid. After all the
discussion we've just had about different colors for links, it seems
like the fact that a generic entry was not in the link color should
indicate that it was not meant to "link."

In addition, in an online index, you don't really need to show all the
second- (and lower) level entries. The user doesn't neet to see them
unless he is interested in that subject. In that case, the generic
entry could be a "hot spot" for a pulldown listing the second- (and any
third-) level entries. This would be a much more efficient use of the
medium and you wouldn't have to worry that people would think there was
a "broken link" in your index.

BJ

Lawrence, Ed wrote:

> As an online help developer, I've been asked by an editor to modify my index
> with some 'jumpless' keywords that are primary keywords that include some
> second levels....................not
> all index entries have page references, in addition to having some primary
> keyword topics contain subjects covered in the second levels. In other
> words, click on the primary keyword Audio, and get a list of possible
> topics, and directly below the keyword audio, second levels might be
> duplicated.............> The solution I intend to offer is link the primary entry to a general topic,
> and if the subordinate second level entries link to the same topic or
> topics, so be it...I just think every keyword in an online index should link
> to something or purge it from the file.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=