Re: help- word and toc

Subject: Re: help- word and toc
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:30:24 +0200

See reply below, please.
----------
From: Cyndy Davis
Sent: Thu, 20 Aug.98 18:31 PM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: help- word and toc

I am trying to create a table of contents for several documents. If I generate a TOC at the end of the doc and then cut and paste it into a new document, Word wants to update the fields when I print. Since Word can't find the fields (they are in seperate docs) it displays the 'Error bookmark not defined' error message.
Is there a way to convert a generated item to text (i.e. Frame's "convert to text" command for cross references)?

Press Ctrl + A to select all of the TOC
Press Ctrl + Shift + F9 to convert the fields to text.

I would also welcome any suggestions on how to link the files together if that approach would work better. I can't move the docs into Frame, the users have to have the doc in Word.

Press Ctrl + F9 field brackets appear in your document
Type inside the brackets like so:

{ rd }

After the letters rd, and a space, type the ENTIRE path of the document including the drive and the document name. For example:

{ rd C:\Windows\Word\Cindy's Stuff\Project A\overvu.doc }

Do this for all the documents you are creating the TOC for. The TOC command then generates the TOC from these "reference document" fields.

HTH

Thanks!
Cyndy Davis
Technical Writer