Re: Credibility (WAS: Texts on Grammar)

Subject: Re: Credibility (WAS: Texts on Grammar)
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:18:47 -0700

The well-written documents that accurately reflect the reality of the
product, process or service are always dazzling because the subject
matter is accurately relayed to the reader. Most readers tend to
appreciate a manual or user guide that gives them the answers they're
looking for. In that respect, we TWs are very much in the business of
dazzling the readers, in my opinion, because we tell them what they need
to know. That is also effective communication between the end user and
the folks that built the product.

Remember, the product is only as good as its manual. What good is the
product if you can't figure out how to use it properly by reading the
documentation? Good TWs know how to communicate with their SMEs and
vice versa. What's published as a result of that interchange -- and
what's finally agreed upon in-house -- is not what I call drivel. It's
called knowledge.

And now, back to my regularly scheduled nightmare. :D

[George Mena] snip

> I don't think we're in the business of dazzling anybody
> with anything. SMEs that I've worked with are far more
> interested in *communicating* with me than being dazzled.
> Similarly, I'm far more interested in communicating with
> them in order to get the information I need, rather than
> impressing them with a bunch of meaningless-to-them drivel.
>
> And...ummm...surely you weren't referring to dazzling
> your audience, were you?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=