Re: terminology for variations of HTML-based Help

Subject: Re: terminology for variations of HTML-based Help
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:43:12 -0400

(offlist reply)

At 04:00 PM 8/26/98 -0400, Brian Flaherty wrote:

<a great deal of technically accurate information which I've snipped
to save space and because I have nothing useful to add, and then...>

>ECMAScript - aka Windows Scripting Host; touted as a replacement for the
>old DOS batch language in the Windows 98/NT 5.x + OSs (you can install
>it for use in Windows 95 and NT 4.x). Think of it as an *Object
>Oriented GUI batch language*. These scripts or scriptlets can be
>written in either VBScript of JScript.

Brian,

To the best of my knowledge, ECMASCript is nothing more, and nothing
less, than a "standard" form of JavaScript approved by ECMA (a European
technical standards organization based in Switzerland - http://www.ecma.ch)

The ECMAScript standard may be read at ECMA's web site:

http://www.ecma.ch/stand/ecma-262.htm

You'll see that it's nothing more than JavaScript with the rough
edges filed off. (It's worth noting that Microsoft comes closer
to supporting the ECMAScript standard (with JScript) than Netscape
does with JavaScript.)

"Windows Scripting Host" is something else entirely; it's a generalized
architecture for ActiveX scripting languages on web servers:

http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/sdkdoc/iishelp/iis/htm/asp/wshobj_2k6s.htm

Otherwise, an excellent and very informative post!

Best regards.

Barry
--
Barry Campbell | Why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com | is over my head... (Duke Ellington/Bob Russell,

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=