Re: Warning re: importing by reference

Subject: Re: Warning re: importing by reference
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:13:01 -0700

If you keep the graphics in a folder in the same folder as your document,
then import by reference, it should be a fairly simple thing to keep
graphics and documents together.

Marilynne

At 12:04 PM -0700 8/27/98, Elizabeth Kane wrote:
> Suzette,
> Just a few words of warning about "import by reference" -- I NEVER use
> it, because copying the graphics into the doc is so much simpler,
> safer and (in my case) really doesn't add an intolerable amount of
> size to my files. The trouble with importing by ref is that any time
> you copy or move those chapters to another location, you have to make
> sure to also copy every one of the graphic files that are imported by
> ref. You might also have to redefine the path to them. It's a pain!
> What if you lose one of them, or they all get deleted by mistake? The
> only way to make the file usable again is to recreate the captures.
> That's too much work to take a chance on, for me.
>
> These days I'm having quite a time coping with a really bad situation
> caused by import by ref: our graphics guy was laid off, and I offered
> to maintain his huge archives. Right after he left, the MIS guy backed
> up his art docs onto tape. Then his Mac's hard drive died.
>
> So we had to use the tape to restore all his files onto my machine.
> But every time I open a doc, I get an error message saying associated
> graphics files are missing. He used import by ref in every one of his
> docs, and sometimes there are 6 or 8 files I have to track down.
> Because the path to the files the doc was dependent on cited his hard
> drive name, and it's dead now, every file has to be fixed! I'm working
> unpaid overtime as a result.
>
> Beth Kane
> bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com in Tucson

>_________________________________
>Subject: Screenshots in FrameMaker
>Author: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM> at Internet
>Date: 8/27/98 12:11 PM
>

>(Cross-posted to Techwr-L and Framers)
>
>Thanks for all the excellent responses! I'm sorry I cannot respond to
>everyone
>individually, but I'd like to summarize.
>
>Some people use one program to capture and another to edit. Others use a
>"multi-purpose" program to do both. The recommendations I received break down
>as follows:
>
>Paintshop Pro - 12 recommendations
>Photoshop - 3 recommendations
>Full Shot - 2 rec.
>Hijaack - 1 rec.
>Hypersnap - 1 rec.
>SnagIt32 - 3 rec.
>Snapshot - 1 rec.
>Capture Pro - 1 rec.
>
>I also received some excellent advice on how to manage graphics in my
>FrameMaker files. Here's my plan of attack:
>
>I have a program called Halo Desktop Imager. I will use that to capture and
>edit my screenshots. Backup choice is Photoshop (which I also have - just
>don't know how to use it). Last resort will be Paintshop Pro. I am fortunate
>that I can select whatever tools I want.
>
>I will capture my screens at 72 dpi, reduce to 16 colours and save them in a
>TIF format (recommended by most - only one person recommended BMP). Each
> [...]

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM, San Diego, CA AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=