Re: Acrobat question

Subject: Re: Acrobat question
From: Mark Jordan <mjordan -at- TSSC -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:13:33 +1200

Hi Sella,

It should not be necessary to create two files.

The printed Acrobat file (pdf) will retain format from the file it is
created from and should be independant of printer driver.

Several zoom options are available to display a pdf file, as follows
(extracted from the Exchange help file).

- - - - - - -

To choose a magnification setting:
1. Choose one of the following magnification settings:

+ Fixed displays the magnification level and page posi-tion
when you created the link or bookmark as the destination.
You can use the zoom tool, the view buttons in
the toolbar, the status bar, or the scroll bar to adjust the
view before accepting this setting.

+ Fit View displays the visible portion of the current
page as the destination. The magnification level varies
with monitor resolution.

+ Fit Page displays the current page in the destination
window.

+ Fit Width displays the width of the current page in
the destination window.

+ Fit Height displays the height of the current page in
the destination window.

+ Fit Visible displays the width of the visible contents
of the current page in the destination window. (This
usually means the margins are not displayed.)

+ Inherit Zoom displays the destination window at the
magnification level the reader is using when he or she
clicks the link or bookmark.

2. After selecting a magnification setting, click OK or Set
Link, and continue with the instructions for creating a
link or bookmark.

Note: When you specify a magnification setting
for a link or bookmark, it is inherited by all subsequent
links and bookmarks you create until you change it.

- - - - - -

If you do not know the target monitor format, my recommendation would be to
use Inherit Zoom. This way the user can set up their desired view format and
that view format will hold until they change it.

An isuue with this is that there is no guarantee that the target user will
actually be able to read the displayed page even if is is fully displayed!
For example, an A3 page covered with 8 pt Times, and a 14" VGA monitor set
to 640 by 480. Yes you can print this page and read the paper version. And
yes you can display the whole page on that monitor, though I doubt very
much that it would be readable unless you zoomed on portions of it. This is
an extreme (and probably unlikely example) but it highlights the point.

I Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!
Mark

At 14:54 27/08/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I haven't kept up with Acrobat lately, so I'd like to pass this query to the
>list.
>
>A colleague wants to know if the following is possible: To create a pdf
>file that allows the user to change the viewing format.
>
>Explanation: He wants a pdf file that is formated for viewing on-screen
>(without having to scroll up-down, left-right), but he also wants to be able
>to print out that same file in a standard page format. Get the point?
>
>I told him it would be a fairly simple matter to just generate two separate
>pdf files from the same content, but no--he wants a single file to do it
>all. (He is looking to improve on a process that uses two separate files.)
>
>Also--we're tentatively looking for some Acrobat training. Any trainers in
>the Seattle area?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Sella Rush
>mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
>Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
>Bremerton, Washington
>Developers of the CCM Database

////
(o o)
Mark Jordan
Technical Writer, NZ TSSC Ltd
Level 6, Corner Taranaki and Manners Streets,
Wellington, New Zealand
Tel: +64 4 381-6267 Fax: +64 4 381-6262
email: mjordan -at- tssc -dot- co -dot- nz

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=