Book Recommendation: Karen Schriver Responds

Subject: Book Recommendation: Karen Schriver Responds
From: Karen Schriver <ks0e+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:46:42 -0400

Thanks Carl Stieren and Brad Mehlenbacher for your reactions to my book!
Carl, I agree that we need to characterize the current state of affairs
in our field. But I don't know if the phrase "minimalism plus" captures
the current state, since the practices you cite (high on bullet points,
etc.) don't really grow out of a theory of minimalism, per se, but more
from a constellation of ad hoc practices that work sometimes but fail
miserably in others. I'm thinking of the many texts that are high on
bullet points and low on content. I'm still a big advocate of content
and that it's functions should infuse design decisions.

The goal I had in my book was to show that our field DOES indeed have a
history, and a pretty interesting one at that. Since many people we work
with trivialize our enterprise, part of my mission in the front end of
the book was political; i wanted people to see that we (information
designers...i'm caving in on my former insistence on document design)
are a real presence in the world of business and the academy. As such, I
tried to show the evolution of the field up to the mid 90s. Now it will
be up to someone else to characterize the 90s and beyond. Any takers? :-)

karen