Re: FWD: Advice for Coping Strategies

Subject: Re: FWD: Advice for Coping Strategies
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:20:20 -0400

Dear Anon

Understand that I'm throwing this out not knowing what you do, where you
do it, and who you do it for...

Expand the scope of your responsibility to handle a more diverse range
of functions. If you are in the development or engineeering area of a
company, find out if the marketing department needs anything;
presentations, scripts, etc....or vice versa

Let your boss know that you want to learn, expand, grow...

Devise initiatives that will benefit your department, and get you into
areas you've never explored before i.e., evaluate new printing methods,
process that are needed in the company. The more things you do, the
more secure your place will be and the more valuable you'll become to
the company.

> I love the art of technical writing. But I go absolutely nuts sitting
> in a cubicle and technical writing all day! Can anyone give me any

Then don't sit in the cubicle all day. FIND justifyable things to get
you out and around.

By the way...I have a problem with tech writing as an "art". It may be a
skill, it may be a discipline, it may be a business process.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good
poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few
reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=