Re: FWD: Advice for Coping Strategies

Subject: Re: FWD: Advice for Coping Strategies
From: "Laurin A. Kinville" <lak -at- CGRAMS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:24:34 -0400

George wrote -

<<If?! *IF*?! *IF* my workplace allows me to get up?!?! There's no *IF*
here! I've always gotten up whenever I've felt the need
to do so.>>

This reminds me of my first job out of grad school - during the height of
the recession in the North East (1990). Had to take a job as an inbound
telemarketer for "the number one supplier of forms and supplies for small
business." Our time off the phone was monitored as if every blasted second
was an affront to humanity. I became convinced that the only reason they
didn't install porta-potties in our chairs was because no-one had presented
an adequate design!

It also took awhile to get used to being treated like a human being once I
left the call center environs for tech writing and training. Felt like
there was always someone timing me when I went to grab a coffee.

So, no matter how chained you feel you are to your desk, remember that there
are others out there who have it a LOT worse!!

Laurin A. Kinville
Supervisor, Technical Documentation
lak -at- newpointtech -dot- com
Newpoint Technologies, Inc.