Word footer problem

Subject: Word footer problem
From: Donna Marino <dmarino -at- DECISIONISM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:37:29 -0600

I am having two problems with a document I created in Word.

First, there is a strange character that I cannot delete from the footer. It looks like the letter "y" with an umlaut above it. When I print the document, this character doesn't appear in the footer. However, I need to delete it because I am sending my client an electronic version of the document and the character doesn't belong in the footer. I've tried recreating the footer, but the character still appears.

Second, I want the phrase "page 1 of xx" to appear at the bottom of each page. When the document prints, the footer reads "page 1 of 1, page 2 of 1, etc." but there are 65 pages in the document. There is only one section in the document and the pages are numbered consecutively. I am thinking that the strange character is messing up the footer, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help with either of these problems? I've checked the archives and haven't found any info about this.

Please send your responses directly to me. Thanks very much for your help.

Donna Marino
dmarino -at- decisionism -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000