Hostile environments?

Subject: Hostile environments?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 06:28:10 -0600

Cecilia St. John works <<...in a company where management of the
technical writers is unbelievably bad and the communication styles
of management are providing for a stressful workplace for nearly
all writers.>>

Being Canadian, and therefore a radical communist compared to our
neighbors to the south <g>, might I suggest forming a union? No, I'm
not serious. I'm usually a pacifist in these issues, and espouse the
"why can't we all just get along?" line, but if the situation is
really as bad as you say, the only solution is to vote with your
feet. After all, the corporate climate almost certainly reflects the
view from the top, and won't change until the guy at the top
changes; even then, it'll take a long time. If you feel that you
absolutely must explain yourself, write a _very_ polite resignation
letter to the senior manager explaining why you're leaving, but be
aware that the sort of idiots you've described may choose to be
vindictive and try to avenge themselves on you for showing them the
errors of their ways. If there's a "departure interview", be as
positive as you can about why you're leaving (i.e., you were offered
a great opportunity elsewhere). If you've got any indication that
the current gang of idiots have a good network and can blacklist you,
write the nastiest letter that makes you feel good, but never send
it; burn it, then shred the ashes <g> and leave as politely and
considerately as you can (e.g., 2 weeks notice, bring your projects
to a safe state for someone else to pick them up, etc.).
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=