Re: PDF List Serv Address???

Subject: Re: PDF List Serv Address???
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:23:17 -0400

At 11:05 AM 9/8/98 -0500, Bill Bledsoe wrote:

>I need some info on PDF image quality loss, and how to prevent it. I
>was hoping someone out there had the PDF list serv address, or at least
>some good resources for researching our problems.

Bill,

The Usenet newsgroup comp.text.pdf has many knowledgable participants;
that's a good place to start looking.

In my experience (a couple of years working pretty intensively with the
PDF format), problems with PDF image quality can usually be traced to
one of the following causes:

-- Compression settings in Exchange. Check to ensure that you're not
trying to crank the JPEG compression too high.

-- Insufficient resolution or detail in the source graphic. Source
graphics *will* be compressed and downsampled in the PDF creation
process, unless this is explicitly disabled, and JPEG is a "lossy"
compression format.

My personal rule of thumb:

Any graphic destined for placement in a PDF file should be generated
or captured at 96dpi or higher, for eventual downsampling to 72dpi
in the final PDF. If you *start* with a 72dpi graphic, it's going to
really look like hell when the conversion process is complete. This
is especially important if you expect your readers to work with the PDF
on-screen.

Hope this helps!

--
Barry Campbell | Why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com | is over my head... (Duke Ellington/Bob Russell,

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=