Re: Importing AutoCAD drawings into Word 97

Subject: Re: Importing AutoCAD drawings into Word 97
From: "Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)" <edk -at- ACCU-FAB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 07:20:15 -0700

For Word 97, our best solution for importing AutoCAD images was to:

*Export from CAD to a .WMF format
*Import that .WMF document to Word 97
*Cut the .WMF and "paste special" as a picture. (Make sure you uncheck
"float over image" and that the picture is embedded.)

The final product takes little memory, doesn't take a lot of resources to
redraw (like a .WMF), and stops Word 97 from bloating. With plain .WMF
files, our Word 97 files grew from 4 to 12 meg after several hours of use
because metafiles need more resources to redraw in Word. Word does this with
non-native images. By making them into Microsoft's "picture" format, we
could include dozens of AutoCAD images and remain at a stable 1 to 2 megs
for a 150 page document.

Hope it helps.

Ed

**********************************

Ed Klopfenstein
Senior Technical Writer
Accu-Fab Systems, Inc.
http://www.accu-fab.com
edk -at- accu-fab -dot- com
***
> After much trial and error, our marketing secretary decided her only
> solution was to load PLT files into a Word 6 document, and then convert
> the
> document to Word 97. That does in fact work for the technical writers in
> R&D, but the pages with these drawings display ever so slowly, and are
> next
> to impossible to manipulate (picture edit/add callouts) - even on a PC
> with
> masses of memory.
> Lisa Mishli
> lmish -at- po2 -dot- robotec -dot- co -dot- il

[Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)] ***

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=