Re: U.S. vs Global Punctuation

Subject: Re: U.S. vs Global Punctuation
From: Bruce Ashley <bashley -at- CREATEPRINT -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:30:20 +1000

Hi Doug,

To the best of my knowledge, 'Global Punctuation' means 'British
Punctuation'.

The U.S. has its own set of standards similar to, but distinct from, the
rest of the world.

But in ten years of creating manuals and training material, I have never
had to worry about the differences in punctuation. They are too subtle for
most. I think the only time you have to be 100% perfect in your grammar is
when dealing with someone who knows the difference.

I tend to let my education and gut instinct tell me what is right or wrong.
We cannot spend all day in grammar reference books trying to sort out the
minute differences between the various styles of English. Life is too short
and deadlines are usually too tight.

But if I get stuck on language, however, I use the Collins dictionary for
'world' language English, Websters for U.S. English and the Macquarie for
Australian (we have subtle differences too :)). These give me the spelling
variances and many of the grammar rules. I also use
http://englishplus.com/index.htm.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce Ashley
OZ

P.S. I would have punctuated your prospective client's statement as
follows:

"It was" she said, "excellent, but," she asked me, "why did you use U.S.
punctuation and not global punctuation?"

Today, a prospective client talked to me about my resume. It was, she said,
"Excellent, but." She asked me, "Why did you use U.S. punctuation and not
global punctuation?"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=