Re: Writing for absolute beginners

Subject: Re: Writing for absolute beginners
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:12:42 -0600

At 04:02 PM 9/16/98 +0200, Bianca Thomas wrote:
>advanced, but more of average knowledge. I now have to write a series of articles on
>creating a web page (NOT WYSIWYG) and using HTML for an audience who has NO
>idea how to do any of this.

Other people have covered this, but I'd agree that it's pretty hard to
visualize an audience of utter novices who would read a series on
creating a Web page through HTML coding. For example, many
people with very little experience buy our HTML books, but
they almost invariably know what HTML is--if not, they'll buy
someone else's "Creating Web Pages" books.

>I have handed in my first column but the editor says I assume too much knowledge on
>the part of the readers and I must simplify more. I am finding this really hard and am
>wondering whether any of you have similar problems? How do
>you deal with them? It is a real struggle for me.

In our experience, it's IMPOSSIBLE to underestimate your audience's
knowledge and background, in particular when writing for a general
audience or mass market publication. Now, writing to the very
lowest common denomonator without being condescending or
patronizing is another challenge, but if you're writing for a mass
market audience, you should probably assume little more than
the ability to turn on the computer and to single and double-click
(left click only) the mouse. Anything else merits explanation.

By way of example, we wrote a Dummies book about the
Approach database program (competitor to Access, and
dead in the water because Lotus/IBM couldn't compete).
Chapter 1 (Database 101) starts with "What the heck is
a database" and moves through "Forms, Reports, and other
Database Portals", "Starting Approach 97", "Creating a New
Database", "Filling out a Form", looking at the data,
printing, saving, closing, exiting, and little more.
It's a 22 page chapter. We've gotten reader email looking
for the "quick and easy way to get started" because
they "don't understand this database stuff" and wanting to
know "which chapters I really have to read". Sigh.

Even without seeing your manuscript, if your editor thinks
it's too advanced, it undoubtedly is.

Eric and Deb

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* Looking for new consulting projects--please query if interested.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=