Re: Lying applicants

Subject: Re: Lying applicants
From: Sue Pyle <comline -at- GREENNET -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:10:28 -0400

What the hell is wrong with consulting firms these days? They never seem to
get the story right about the client's specific needs and environment. And
then they accuse us writers of lying! Your entire post sounded patronizing,
chauvinistic, and totally unprofessional. We're not animals that you can
just yank on and off jobs, accuse of "chatting".

Where you might think a professional writer is lying, you may discover she
or he is responding to your question (whatever it was) and answered to the
best of her/his ability. What's the point in lying anyway? The client and
you, the consulting firm, will find out about what is or isn't true soon
enough. My guess is she didn't totally understand the job before she even
arrived there.

This happens a lot lately. Consulting firms get the specs wrong. They're so
anxious to sell a job and get the commission, that they pull in people who
don't even know what to expect, and they get clients to agree to things they
probably shouldn't. Then here we are looking for work, and these consulting
firms paint a story from heaven. We get on the job, and find out there's a
world more this job recruiter didn't tell us. Usually, it's not because they
are withholding information; typically, it's because they don't understand
the work either.

I submit that these consulting firms bring a contractor along for the sales
pitch meeting. Together, the recruiter (sales rep) and the writer can find
out in needs analysis fashion, just what the client needs. Then at the
outset, the writer should advise the recruiter if the scope of the project
is above and beyond the skill set.

Suzanne