Re: Anyone doing C++ Programmer's doc?

Subject: Re: Anyone doing C++ Programmer's doc?
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:49:59 -0400

Hallnan, Barbara (CICG Development) wrote:

> I've written doc for C APIs before, but this is my first C++ doc. [snipped]

Your ideas sound pretty good. Speaking as a long-suffering C++
programmer, however, I'd like to make a couple suggestions.

First, consider making your Programmer's Reference an electronic rather
than paper document and use hyperlinks to show inheritance and "friend"
relationships. It's generally agreed among experienced C++ programmers
that, when it's done right, this is much easier to use than any
paper-based reference. I know of very few class libraries or C++ APIs
that are documented thoroughly on paper any more--it just creates a
bulky, expensive document that's no fun to use.

Second, if you want programmers to start using the API immediately, one
working sample program is worth a million words of text. This would
probably have to come from your programming department unless you're a
programmer also.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer: Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=