Re: this GIF deal

Subject: Re: this GIF deal
From: Marylee Hendricks <marylee_hendricks -at- RETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:06:22 -0500

Group,

I wrote to Dave Whelan concerning technology and whether a company loses its
rights to some product if it does not consistently require users to pay for
it. My theory was that it might like a trademark, and if a company did not
protect it, anyone could use the technology without being penalized or fined
later. Dave wrote back with a good explanation of the differences between
the policy on trademark protection and the licensing of a product and
charging a fee. He said I could pass his reply on to the group, so here it
is, after my address...

Marylee Hendricks
Retek Information Systems
Technical Editor - Training
Phone: 612.630.5642 Fax: 612.630.5710
Email: marylee_hendricks -at- retek -dot- com