Re: Ranges: Two or Three

Subject: Re: Ranges: Two or Three
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:12:57 -0700

What an interesting question. Here's my purely personal approach:

When I think of "ranges", I think of ranging on a plane. And a plane is
made up of infinite points. I don't think of a range as one-dimensional (a
line). Information can be two-dimensional, and there are times when we need
to define the range of 2D information. For example, you might say a vet
treats all animals, ranging from dogs to raccoons to cattle. There's no way
to force all animals in a straight line with a beginning and end.

Stylistically, I think 3 is a good limit. But something like "dogs and cats
to horses and cattle" let you get away with 4. But using "and" implies a
nearer relationship than "to". In effect, you're returning to a 1D line.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington