Re: WHAT did you say? (WAS: What is a SME?)

Subject: Re: WHAT did you say? (WAS: What is a SME?)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:16:15 -0500

> My point -- which I guess I didn't make -- was that working in a
> manufacturing environment helped make me a more well-rounded technical
> writer and that I fear new tech writers, at least in this country, may
> well be losing out on what I consider diminishing opportunities to
> experience the manufacturing environment firsthand. And I consider such
> a trend to be a tragedy.

George, I see two problems with your argument. (1) If the manufacturing
industry is leaving the U.S., then why would it benefit tech writers in
the U.S. to have that experience? (2) While I'm sure your job and your
experience are wonderful, I'd rather become well-rounded with experience
that applies to *my* job and *my* interests, which have nothing to do
with manufacturing. Remember, we don't all describe widgets and the many
wonderful things you can do with them. We don't all document software
either, for that matter. :-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=