Subject: FAQ
From: Peter Collins <peter -dot- collins -at- BIGFOOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:40:44 +1000

Elizabeth Bailey wrote "One of the best methods for efficiently
disseminating information to others is in the form of Frequently Asked
Questions or FAQs."

But mostly, FAQs are NOT Frequently Asked at all! Usually they are
hints and tips that some technical writer considers not adequately
covered or not sufficiently accessible elsewhere in the documentation.

If the list of FAQs is generated from Help Desk statistics, then they
are truly FAQs. Otherwise, please call them something else.

Our craft depends upon having a language with consistent meanings and
interpretation, and our credibility depends upon our truthfulness and
reliability. Please let's not distort our use of language, nor use
untruthful names for our lists of hints (nor for anything else, I
guess).
Peter Collins, VIVID Management Pty Ltd,
26 Bradleys Head Road, MOSMAN 2088, Australia
+61 2 9968 3308, fax +61 2 9968 3026, mobile +61 (0)18 419 571
Management Consultants and Technical Writers
email: peter -dot- collins -at- bigfoot -dot- com ICQ#: 10981283
web pages: http://www.angelfire.com/pe/pcollins/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=