Documenting WinHelp files

Subject: Documenting WinHelp files
From: "Stone, Rick" <rick -dot- stone -at- WORLDSPAN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:59:33 -0500

This is my first post to the list. Please forgive me if this question is
inappropriate.

I have been using RoboHELP to develop WinHelp files for about 5 years now.
My resulting help files comprise a system used by 4 call centers for on-line
documentation. (Error message indexing, pictures and explanations of
equipment, etc.)

We are preparing to transition this system to something more accessable by
the entire company (which is somewhat geographically diverse). It appears
that the company intranet is the perfect medium.

In preparation for me to begin my quest for the perfect help files in HTML,
I have been tasked with documenting the current on-line system. This is so
that I can hand off the day-to-day maintenance chores of the WinHelp system
to a third party and concentrate on the intranet based system.

My question is this: Have any of you out there ever had to document the help
files you have built? If so, how did you tackle it?

It has been my experience that WinHelp files are "self documenting". This is
unlike any programming I have ever encountered. It would seem a long and
pointless task to create a heirarchial view of the entire system. Any ideas
will be most appreciated.

Thanks for listening! Rick :)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=