Re: International Paper series

Subject: Re: International Paper series
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:31:35 -0700

Gregory D. Drew wrote:

> I am preparing to teach some writing workshops and would like toget my =
> hands on some (or all) of the ads in this series because Ithink they =
> would be excellent teaching aids. A few months ago I wrote to =
> International Paper to inquire if they still had these in theirarchives, =
> but have not heard back. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how I =
> could possibly getthem? Perhaps some did get the set when they were =
> available and would be willing to share?

It was indeed a fine series and I once got the whole batch from International
Paper (where they are now after a couple of moves, I'm not sure). I used to
pass out copies of the Russell Baker piece on punctuation, which tells you all
you really need to know on one sheet of paper. Some pieces were not really
relevant to writing (Jane Bryant Quinn on how to read an annual report; Bill
Cosby on how to read faster), but the articles by Kurt Vonnegut on how to
write
with style and John Irving on how to spell were pretty good.

All of the articles were gathered into a book published by Anchor
Press/Doubleday entitled _How To Use The Power Of The Written Word_, edited by
Billings S. Fuess, Jr. with a preface by Clifton Fadiman. Using the usual Web
book search engines, I find that it is also out of print. The ISBN for the
paperback, which I have right here in my hot little hands, is 0-385-18216-3;
there was apparently a hardback edition as well (0-385-18215-5).

--Wayne
Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 http://www.verity.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=