FW: Gender

Subject: FW: Gender
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:29:15 -0400

The English language can be very inconvenient and this is one example. Unlike other languages such as French (vous, tu), English uses the same word "you" for both plural and singular. It's just plain insufficient when trying to get the plural across.

As a biased southerner I must say that y'all is pretty useful. I'd be surprised to find someone who NEVER says y'all, you all, you guys. . .

Anne McDonough wrote:

Hi! As a native New Yorker who lived in Virginia for 12 years, I have always
hated y'all and successfully managed to live in the South without ever saying
it. Although, I equally dislike the New York version of it-youse or youse
guys. Must be a legacy from my English teacher mother.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000