Re: "Technical writer" in other languages

Subject: Re: "Technical writer" in other languages
From: Dr Rita Puzmanova <rita -at- EXT -dot- EPE -dot- CZ>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:12:12 +0100

Dear all,

Although for me as a non-native speaker the "technical writer" in
English sounds very clear, it would never
"pass" in my native tongue, the Czech. Literary translation would sound
strange, but worse, would mean rather a way how one writes than the
topic which one covers.

I suspect that in majority of Slav languages the longer expression would
be needed, something like (translating it back to English) "a writer of
technical literature" or "author of technical literature".

My suspicion goes even further (now only based on very personal feeling
valid in the Czech environment) - that we, technical writers, rarely
call ourselves here WRITERS (why? who knows - perhaps for high
admiration for true non-technical writers...) but AUTHORS yes, we feel
responsible for what we do.

Rita Puzmanova
rita -at- ieee -dot- org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=