Re: Lone Writer Rant "You don't need to know that..."

Subject: Re: Lone Writer Rant "You don't need to know that..."
From: Drew Krause <dkrause -at- NETSIDE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:49:54 -0400

As another lone writer who has encountered similar attitudes, here are a
couple thoughts:

1) Putting docs as low-priority may or may not be company-wide. The
developers I've worked with have had an astonishing range of interest in
the doc process.

2) Contact with users (training, user conferences, even phone contact)
can be a morale-booster: people really do read these things, especially
first-time users. Ultimately, it's for them that most docs are intended.

3) In my own case, branching out from manuals-only to other media such as
online help and web support increased my work's visibility tenfold. I get
the sense that these areas are becoming quite important sources of
information, especially for those who simply won't RTFM.

Drew Krause Miami, FL
dkrause -at- netside -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=