Summary + New Question: Moving Screen Captures

Subject: Summary + New Question: Moving Screen Captures
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:56:42 -0400

First, thanks to everyone who responded - it seems like ScreenCam from
Lotus and SnagIt from TechSmith are the choices here, suggested by many
more folks than I can thank individually.

Second, the question: I've downloaded and tested the two products, but both
seem very speed-limited - that is, they don't show a fast enough sequence.
What I'm actually trying to capture is a full-screen data entry application
as a keyer types somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 keystrokes per hour.
To test the apps, I had them record me typing text in Word - I'm nowhere
near that fast, of course, but it gave me an idea. SnagIt, capturing the
Word window (which I had made fairly small), slows to something like 1
frame per second - way too slow. ScreenCam seems a little better, but
still the typing looks very stilted. The point of the video is to
illustrate the speed data entry operators can achieve with our application,
so unless I'm missing something in these apps, I need an alternative
solution. Is real video the only way to go, or is there another option?

Thanks for all your help on this.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)