Re: CVS For Documentation

Subject: Re: CVS For Documentation
From: Deb Hardy Dore <ddore -at- AVENTAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:39:52 -0700

Linda and all: The developers here recently asked us (documentation group)
to start using CVS to store help files, and possibly other documents. The
developers had been using CVS for months. The docs. group had been using
Visual Source Safe (VSS), which I was very happy with. The developers'
argument was that all of the code that they were writing could (should) be
in the same location as the Help files, making it easier for them to
integrate the Help with the code. In the end, this is what we agreed on: We
use CVS to store the relevant help files (just the .hh, .hlp, and .cnt
files), and we use VSS to store everything else. (Only the docs-group files
that the developers need go into CVS.) This has worked out well for us, and
CVS is fairly easy to use. As far as benefits and drawbacks go, VSS is a
user-friendly GUI, while CVS is command-line and DOS-based. Both are easy
to use, once you get past the initial learning curve. If the developers
hadn't asked us to use CVS, I would have chosen to stick with VSS, but it's
all worked out just fine anyway. Let me know if you have more specific
questions.

Deb

Deb Hardy Dore
Technical Writer
ddore -at- aventail -dot- com
Phone 206.215.0091
Fax 206.215.1120

Aventail Corporation
Trusted Communication as a Competitive Advantage
www.aventail.com
206.215.1111

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=