Query: WRITER vs AUTHOR

Subject: Query: WRITER vs AUTHOR
From: Dr Rita Puzmanova <rita -at- EXT -dot- EPE -dot- CZ>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 17:01:02 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to hear from you the opinions on the distinction between
the two, namely related to the legal aspects and consequences to
be(come) one or the other.

Perhaps some of the BACKGROUND of the question: so far I have acted as
an independent author of technical articles and books, where the
contracts were established between the publisher and myself and I have
been in full control (sort of) what happens to my work.
As I am considering joining a company where they would like me to
continue writing publicly (specifying I am part of the company), I would
like to know what I should look after and avoid in terms of copyrights
etc.
Is it something to be part of the working contract (in generalized
terms) or should we agree piece by piece (say, every article) who holds
the rights?

Note: Although my question brings up some legal issues which may vary
across the frontiers, I would like to know the situation elsewhere per
se.

TIA you for your opinion.

Rita Puzmanova
rita -at- ieee -dot- org