Re: Help! New Job, No Docs, Big Company

Subject: Re: Help! New Job, No Docs, Big Company
From: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- ENCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 11:56:28 -0600

Best of luck to you Luke. You may not understand code but the code may
still be of considerable use to you, depending on the development
environment the engineers are using. I'm guessing from your post that
the company produces software for accounting. With any luck the software
is constructed from a series of modules. Each module will perform a
specific function. Most developers include comments in their code that
describe how each module works. Often this documentation is grouped
together in a section of the code that defines each function. These
definitions are called function prototypes. Ask to see them.

I'm also working for a startup company with a lot of potential and
little documentation. I just spent the past two days pouring through
source code for a particular product and extracting comments. The
resulting word file is 54 pages long. Your results may vary.

Martin R. Smith
Technical Writer / Audiophile
ENCORP: The Energy Automation Company, http://www.encorp.com
(970) 686-2017 x 223