kHz or KHz

Subject: kHz or KHz
From: Hollister Technical Services <Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 18:39:42 +0100

I have been following this thread for a while and no one has made any
explanation of why the SI prefixes are like this.

It is my understanding that the multipliers of a unit are based on Latin
words and, in principle, have upper case letters. I think k is lower
case because it conflicts with K(elvin) the unit of temperature.

Divisors are based on Greek words and all have lower case letters. The
only 'awkward' one is the use of the greek character mu for micro.
--
Peter Jones

e-mail Holtec -at- comity -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=