Documentation for warehouse staff

Subject: Documentation for warehouse staff
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:51:08 -0600

Robin Allen has <<...been hired to create end-user and systems
documentation for an automated data collection application. It uses
bar code readers in a warehouse environment. My audience for the
end-user documentation is warehouse personnel.>>

I'd say this sounds like a good opportunity for an audience analysis
rather than asking for generalities from us, but that may not be
possible in your context. If you can do one, great; in case you
can't, I'll provide a few stereotypes based on my personal experience
in the wholesale food industry in Quebec. Caveat: These are
_stereotypes_, and you'd be unwise to rely on them without doing a
reality check. Also note that I'm going to provide the worst-case
scenario, since in the best case, standard documentation procedures
will work just fine. In short, my observations don't apply to
everyone I worked with (they do an injustice to many warehouse
workers), and may be completely irrelevant for a different industry
in a different part of the world. Consider yourself forewarned.

First observation: The workers who'll be using the barcode readers
probably won't want to be required to read anything before they can
do their job, and may have linguistic problems (e.g., they speak
another language, are illiterate) that interfere even if they are
willing to read manuals. This strongly suggests the possibility that
you'll be writing documentation for a manager who will train the
workers rather than for the workers themselves. You may still have to
write very simplistically in case the trainer ducks the
responsibility and leaves the job to the individual workers.

Second observation: Warehouses are dirty and occasionally hazardous
places to work. A typical manual might last a day there before
becoming soiled or crushed (or worse) beyond any possibility of use.
As I noted above, training is likely to be a better solution than any
full, traditional user manual, however portable. What you should
consider including is a sturdy, plastic-laminated (i.e., washable and
indestructible) cheatsheet they can put in a pocket and carry with
them.

Third observation: Visibility is often really poor (low light or
glaring light, depending on the location), so you'll have to make the
materials highly legible. Be very careful with the use of color, and
if you coat the cheatsheet, avoid a glossy varnish (use a matte
finish). Aim for maximum contrast, large type, etc.

Fourth observation: The workers may be very hostile to the job,
either because they recognize how demeaning the work can be or
because they're feuding with management. (I've worked in union shops
for many years, and though it's a bit of a stereotype, be aware that
you may be writing for an audience that includes a sizable bunch of
malcontents.) In short, the workers are not necessarily highly
motivated to do the work, and may react really, really, badly to glib
statements, forced humor, or poorly written instructions. Take care,
and try to test the docs on a real set of workers.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Microsoft Word: It grows on you... but with a little fungicide,
you'll be feeling much better real soon now!"--GH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=