Re: Ques: Free User Hotline as Educational Tool?

Subject: Re: Ques: Free User Hotline as Educational Tool?
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:43:13 -0700

Interesting clarification of this project. So it seems that the hotline
ends up solving sticky problem situations, which makes a lot of sense.
Maybe people have already tried to use the company's tech support and
failed. And the feedback the company gets is as much on the tech support
system as on the documentation. So not only does the student get experience
on writing user-centered documentation, they also get a sense of good
customer-business practices, which could be very valuable. Now I can see
the real benefit to students, customers and companies. Maybe it could even
be expanded to a partnership with business students, which might lead to
better relationships between these groups in the workplace. Maybe not.

As an aside: everyone who actually thinks *my* documentation is perfect,
raise your hands. Everyone who thinks *I* think my documentation is perfect
raise your hands. Smack my knuckles with a ruler for forgetting to use
Geoff's irony indicator (Fe), which can be so crucial on this international
list. In the abstract, we all know our documentation benefits from a
different perspective. In real life, we all know people who take feedback
as a deadly insult.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)