Re: Blue chip, bored, and biding time

Subject: Re: Blue chip, bored, and biding time
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:55:22 -0700

> We have these weekly meetings that I go to and I am clueless
> throughout the
> entire meeting because nobody ever clued me in on the ongoing
> project that is
> the discussion of the meetings.

Ask for specs, proposals, and any other documentation related to the
project.
Talk to the people involved, both in and out of your group.
ACTIVELY seek out the information.

> I feel like I'm just floating, waiting for something to happen here.

Waiting for something to happen is the first step to unemployment....you
really have to be
proactive in works situations. Some managers assign work, others want
you to volunteer or
suggest projects related to the company.

> I ask for work and I get bits and pieces at a time. I work
> slowly to make that
> little bit of work last because I know its gonna be a while
> before I get
> anymore.

Well, when you complete "bits and pieces", make sure you're in your
manager's face with the results.
Suggest to your manager what you can and should do next. Take the
initiative!
You could also explore other alternatives within the company.

> I dont want to leave just yet because its only been 2 months,
> but I'm not
> learning and growing here.
>
> My manager and my leads all know I'm looking for work...

Wow. That's the most telling line of your message. My gut feeling is
that the company is letting you
stay on until you find other employment. Much easier and less stressful
for them to have you find another
job and leave, than to have to "release" you. I'd guess that management
is watching the situation, and if you
aren't gone in a specific period of time, you may be asked to leave.
Probably at the next performance review.

I'd go to my manager and explain your frustrations, and your suspicions.
Stress that you want to succeed, but you need
some guidance. Ask for a straight answer--"Based on my performance so
far, what work habits and skills do I need to
improve in order to satisfy you and the team? Here is where I think *I*
need to improve. Does this match up with what you
think?" Depending on how you get along with your manager, you might
also ask if they're hoping you find something else
soon. (You may not get an honest answer to this.)

In short, you need to be more active in the situation. Stop thinking of
yourself as being affected by the lack of projects or
opportunity at you job; start taking control of what is going on.

Stephen Arrants, Jr.
DATAFUSION, Inc.
139 Townsend Street Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94107-1922