Re: FWD: Blue chip, bored, and biding time

Subject: Re: FWD: Blue chip, bored, and biding time
From: Tom Herme <hermet -at- DNINEVADA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:31:21 -0700

"Eric J. Ray" wrote:

> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> I am working at a blue chip company on a Web team and have been here for almost
> 2 months. I'm making great money but am bored to death because nobody gives me
> assignments (even when I tell people I'm bored and available and need work to
> do).

And "they" say that money is everything!

> I took this job because its a well known company and thought I would get goobs
> of great experience. So far I havent learned anything.

Maybe you've learned that you have to jump in and define your role, define what you
do. The company probably operates in one of two manners:

(1.) They have no strategy, no goals; therefore, there is no direction. Nobody can
tell you what you should be doing. If this keeps up; however, somebody will tell
you where to go (out the door, that is) because the place is ripe for takeover,
shutdown...imagine the possibilities.

(2.) There are plenty of directions to go, but everybody's so busy going that they
can't stop to tell you. So ask the boss where he/she is going, sit down and figure
out how you can contribute to the trip, and submit a plan that describes how your
time and talents will make the trip an enjoyable and profitable one.

> We have these weekly meetings that I go to and I am clueless throughout the
> entire meeting because nobody ever clued me in on the ongoing project that is
> the discussion of the meetings.

So clue yourself in. Ask questions.

> I feel like I'm just floating, waiting for something to happen here.

Make it happen for yourself. Some managers want to see their charges take the
reins.

> I ask for work and I get bits and pieces at a time. I work slowly to make that
> little bit of work last because I know its gonna be a while before I get
> anymore.
>
> I dont want to leave just yet because its only been 2 months, but I'm not
> learning and growing here.

So give yourself a timetable: "I will determine my boss', my departments's, my
company's goals as they relate to me in two weeks."
"I will develop and present a work plan to my boss that describes what I can do,
what resources I will need to do it, and by when it will be accomplished."
"I will wait one week for a response."
"If no response, I'm out of here."

> My manager and my leads all know I'm looking for work...

How do they know? Maybe that's why you don't get direction. They figure you won't
be around anyway. Have you already made up your mind?

--
Tom Herme

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=