Re: File sizes in different languages

Subject: Re: File sizes in different languages
From: David Lettvin <dlettvin -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:14:42 -0700

As I remember, it did not have anything to do with revisions or fast
save and it may no longer be true. For some reason I was looking at a
doc file using a text editor and I found a huge section of random
lines that I remembered correcting. I did a couple of experiments and
I think the only way I got rid of them was "save as". This was a
couple of years ago so it may not be valid.

The graphics, however, may be more fruitful. I know that MS did not
properly handle JPG files in the EXIF standard but that format is
pretty much restricted to digital cameras.

I would look at the graphics formats being used and check on which
filters and compression were used to convert them.

Also make sure that it is not something as simple as having imported
the graphics for one file and referenced them for another.

If worst comes to worst , simply explain that the English and Dutch
just need more instruction. This will not come as a great surprise to
the French and Italians.

---"Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM> wrote:

> > From: Toni Williams TPG/SG [mailto:towilliams -at- PROCYONGROUP -dot- COM]
> > I may be off base here (another of those overused phrases :-) ), but
> > can't you instead, from the Tools menu, select the Accept Revisions
> > option to eliminate this problem?
>
> Similar concept, but different: the Accept Revisions option works
with the
> Lock for Revisions feature, not the Fast Save feature.
>
> The Lock for Revisions feature makes Word save the changes so you
can see
> what changes were made, by whom, and when. Then the owner of the
document
> can go through it, accepting and rejecting changes as appropriate.
It's a
> very neat feature.
>
> The Fast Save feature attempts to save file-writing time. The theory
is
> this: in a normal save, Word has to write the whole file every time.
If your
> document is 35MB and you make a tiny change and then save, Word has
to write
> the whole 35 MB. With Fast Save, Word just tacks the fact that you
made a
> tiny change onto the end of the 35MB file. In practice, small
changes often
> cause ripple effects, and Fast Save, in my experience, isn't all
that much
> faster than the regular save. And the files tend to grow out of
control. You
> may be saving file write time, but when you read the file, there is
all that
> much more to read. More importantly, the Fast Save processing is more
> complicated than the normal save, and provides more opportunity for
file
> corruption. Fast Save is considered a dangerous and
not-terribly-useful
> feature by many.
>
> Both features involve Word keeping track of changes, but in
different ways.
> I could be wrong, but I doubt that there is much of a relationship
between
> the two.
>
> ---
> Office:
> mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
> Home:
> nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> Find TECHWR-L-related books at