Re: overused words

Subject: Re: overused words
From: Sean Kelly <skelly -at- ALPHABITS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:15:06 +1000

On 12/10/98 15:00, Mark Levinson wrote:

> I'm on a crusade against the use of "multiple" to
> mean "several."

Mark,

The use of "multiple" to mean "many and various" has been around since
1647, recognised by both OED and Webster's. I can't see a problem with
it, especially as it well used and understood in the computing industry.

> "This product runs on multiple platforms." What's
> a multiple platform? A machine that runs both
> Windows and Linux? Oh, you mean the product runs
> on various platforms. Could've said so unambiguously.

I partially agree with you in your use in the example: specifying the
platforms is useful. However, I think your phrase "...the product runs on
various platforms" is just as useless as that you are trying to replace.

I usually disagree with broad generalisations about usage in contexts
like this; after all, you are just expressing an opinion that "multiple"
is incorrectly used. My opinion is that "multiple" in this context is OK.
The point is that the important information should be highlighted in the
sentence; in this case, the operating systems that the product runs on.

Regards,

Sean Kelly
Alphabits
Information Architects
www.alphabits.com.au
skelly -at- alphabits -dot- com -dot- au

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=