Re: Q.: A replacement for "implementation"

Subject: Re: Q.: A replacement for "implementation"
From: Sandra Stipp <sstipp -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:52:21 -0700

"implementation"--I'll have to agree with Geoff here. In some cases, much
to our dislike, nominalizations, passives, etc., may be the best choice,
depending on the context and
other factors.

"Implementation" in the example "...the current implementation of DCOM has
certain
limitations" seems to represent a process. As such, the revised statement
"Currently,
DCOM has a number of limitations that affect..." would be incorrect. This
revision
undeniably changes the meaning of the sentence.

How about: "....the current implementation of DCOM is limited by...." But
now you have
a passive (trading one "evil" for another). Another suggestion:
"...certain factors may limit
the implementation of DCOM, namely..." or something to this effect. Not
seeing the text
in its entirety makes it rather difficult to judge whether these suggestions
will really work, but hopefully they will get you started. :)

Hope this helps.....
--sstipp

Sandra L. Stipp
Technical Writer