Re: Docs on the Web

Subject: Re: Docs on the Web
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:51:43 -0400

Kathy,

A couple of things to think about (may or may not apply in your
situation):

1. Use Exchange to prepare the PDFs (after Distilling), by setting up
appropriate security options, document view/opening options, and
document info content. This makes your readers' experience much more
uniform and pleasant (invisibly to them, of course). And the doc info
improves the utility of the index. (Tip: Turn off "Greek text below" to
prevent problems with bullets on some monitors.)

2. Make sure that everyone has the Search tool plugin installed for
their Reader or Exchange.

3. If you construct an html index or contents page for the collection,
consider offering links to the original doc files, too, for such things
as templates that people will need to edit for themselves; and put the
doc and pdf links for a given item next to each other (in a tabular
format, most likely).

4. Just in case . . . put a link on the home page for the collection
that downloads Acrobat for anyone who doesn't have the latest version.

5. Link to a brief FAQ to deal with: Why are my graphics fuzzy? How do I
submit a document to be added? How do I view the document outside of my
browser? Etc.

HTH,

Dick

Kathy Ellis wrote:

> Folks:
>
> After much fancy tap dancing, I've gotten permission
> to put our doc set on the company website. Everything
> is in PDF format behind a firewall with indexes, a tutorial
> on Acrobat, yada, yada, yada.
>
> On the surface, this seems like a no-brainer, but I know
> from experience that no-brainers often have a lot hidden
> obstacles. Anyone have sage advice on what to watch
> out for or how to be the most efficient at managing this?
>
> Thanks is advance. You guys always have great ideas!
>
> Kathy
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=