Re: US Professional issues

Subject: Re: US Professional issues
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:48:42 -0700

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Elna Tymes wrote:

>There's a general resistance to telecommuting in most parts of the
>country, as many of us have observed. Why? I can only guess. I
>suspect that a lot of companies still have this nagging fear of 'if
>I can't see you, you're not working' when it comes to contractors.

Could it be that a certain number of bodies are required to justify
someone's managerial position?

Based on "span of control" a team must have a certain number of members
before the "lead" can be promoted to "manager." Likewise, a certain number
of managers are required to justify a "director." And so it goes. The
managers and directors are the ones who do the hiring and they need warm
bodies on site to justify their existence.

John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=