Poker, and Life's Lessons

Subject: Poker, and Life's Lessons
From: Carl Leonard <CLeonard -at- TFMG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:54:28 -0700

There has been considerable chatter lately about interviewers' techniques.
In particular, folks have expressed concern over
interviewers picking our brains, then not hiring us, and
interviewers allowing us to hang ourselves with our own
words

My goodness, and I the only one here who plays Poker?

Here's a Poker-player's skill: when it's your turn to bet (or raise), don't
do either. Rather than make the expected move, instead declare "check." In
other words, decline to either bet or raise. Then it becomes the next
player's turn to bet (or raise). Once the betting opportunity has gone all
the way around the table, you have a pretty good idea of what every player
has in their hand [the poker hand :-)]. Not only do you get a clue as to
what the others are holding, but you also have given no clue (or a false
clue) about your hand. This is called "sandbagging" - a highly-refined form
of "bluffing."

My friends, when the interviewers play these games, they're sandbagging you.
There are four ways to handle sandbaggers:
1. In the Old West, you could shoot 'em
2. Fold
3. Sandbag back
4. Have an unbeatable hand

"I see your ten, and raise you five."

Carl Leonard
You have to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, know when to run.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=