Re: Word to HTML Question

Subject: Re: Word to HTML Question
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 05:27:19 -0500

I agree with you that letting Word convert your docs to HTML is a quick,
easy way to get the conversion started. However, I think you should only
use Word for the first step in the process. After that, just close Word and
load your HTML doc into your HTML editor, replace the image1, etc., graphic
names with the real names.

I'm not sure, but the problem you're having with the graphic names may stem
from the fact that Word converts them to GIF files. Or rather, it REPLACES
each graphic with a GIF version of it. These are not the same files that
you started with, which were very likely TIFF, PCX, or some other format.

Once you're dealing with these graphics in your editor, you can rename the
image1.gif file to its original name, keeping the .gif extension. Just be
sure that the actual file name and the img reference are identical.

Another thing you might want to remember is that, although Word does you a
favor by converting your graphics to GIF--and usually does a very good job
of it--there will be times when you won't like the way the converted
graphics look; that's when you will want to pull those graphics into your
favorite graphics program (Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, etc.) and do the
conversion yourself. For instance, photos with a lot of detail or graphics
with gradients don't usually make good GIFs and probably should be
converted to JPEG.

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
www.superconnect.com
------------------------------º><º------------------------------
"The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living
at doing what they most enjoy." ~ Malcomb S. Forbes
------------------------------º><º------------------------------

At 03:12 PM 10/20/98 -0500, Fran Madera wrote:
>I am saving word docs to HTML. The word file contains graphics that are =
>named so I know what they are such as NavMenu.gif.
>
>When I save to HTML the graphics are renamed in the code to image43, image =
>44, image45, etc. =20
>
>In the HTML source code, I relinked the graphics using the file name I =
>gave the graphic but Word won't retain the names.=20
>
>Is there a way to force Word to save the graphics using the same name I =
>gave them?
>
>I have an HTML editor I can use but wanted to take advantage of the easy =
>of the Word save as HTML feature.
>
>Any ideas?=20
> & be nice, I'm having a tough day!!
>
>Fran