Re: Need Help Fast!!!

Subject: Re: Need Help Fast!!!
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:20:57 -0400

David Dubin wrote:

> 1. Would you describe steps with bullets, numbers, or some other form of
> enumeration?

If it's really a sequence of steps--numbers. Definitely.

> 2. How many different types of enumerative devices (excluding numbers)
> would you put into a training manual? Why?

One style for bulleted lists.
One style for enumerated lists.
One style for page/section numbering.
One style for heading numbering.

After that, I can't think of any cases where you would need further
variations.

> 3. Which of the following would you rather use and why?
> Click the XYZ button.
> Click on the XYZ button.

I never use "click". I always uses "Press". People aren't necessarily
using a mouse.

> 4. Other than quoting titles, do you use italics, and if so, for what?

To indicate the introduction of a new term, e.g. "A /*widget*/ is a
device that..."

> 5. Currently, we use the following convention. To indicate what option,
> button, etc. someone is to select we bold the option button, etc. For
> example, (using the asterisks as bold) Click the *ABC* button and
> highlight the appropriate line.

A little primitive, but it works.

> 6. Would you enclose any of the following elements in a box in the text or
> instructions: Names of buttons, windows, or dialog boxes?

Buttons, yes, but only if your DTP system and printer don't make the
results look amateurish. Otherwise, stick with your boldface. Windows
and dialog boxes, never.

> 7. Do you use underlining and if so, when.

Never. Too hard to read.

I take that back. Underlining is used in some AV script formats. :)

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer: Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=