ADMIN: Clarification/Latest Listowner as Jerk installment

Subject: ADMIN: Clarification/Latest Listowner as Jerk installment
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:04:13 -0600

Gang,
I do have a few remarks (ok, it's a diatribe)
on the very ugly side issues recently raised
up that I think need to be addressed publicly. (Do not
comment on this on the list--if you have comments,
send them to me offline.)

>>So should George have been shutdown for his statements. NO. I took
>>what he was writing as his personal opinion. If he upset a few people
>>on the list, live with it. Sometimes the truth hurts. Do I agree with
>>what George said, won't say, but I will defend to the death his right to
>>say it.
>
>Hear, hear! This is a given. Free speech has its downside as well as its
>upside. It means that you have to listen to things you don't really want to
>hear in order to have the freedom to say what you want to say. Then there's
>always our old friend, the Delete key.

No. I'm sorry, but you've completely misunderstood the
concept of free speech as it applies to this discussion forum.
This list is NOT an open forum for anyone to express their
personal opinions. This is an open forum for anyone to
express their professional opinions on a particular topic--
Technical Communication, in this case. That's what Okstate
donates the resources to support, that's what I believe in,
and that's what I'll tolerate.

"Free speech" or censorship aren't the issues. You're welcome to
write anything offensive or objectionable that you want, but
that doesn't obligate anyone to publish it, buy it, or read it.
I repeat: Freedom to speak does not equal obligation to publish.

IDG Books is clearly not censoring me if they decline
to publish "Listowning for Dummies" and not censoring me if
they firmly suggest that I shouldn't print up some yellow
covers and publish "Listowning for Dummies" on my own.
Similarly, barring offensive language, objectionable or threatening
language, or anything else that would keep this list from being
a useful resource for everyone interested in technical communication
is not censoring list members.

I can exercise my right to free speech by going across the
street and publishing "Listowning for Idiots" at a different
publisher, or even self-publish "Listowning for Dolts" on my own.
Anyone on this list is free to start a technical communication for
bigots list and do their own thing there.

I think that one of the most important aspects of this forum
is to have a supportive, non-threatening, non-abusive,
non-bigoted venue in which anyone can freely ask
professional questions and exchange tips, advice, war stories,
or anything else that's professionally appropriate for
technical communicators, students, teachers, or others
interested in the field of technical communication.
That isn't possible if people persist in posting messages
that denigrate people based on personality, race, gender, or
any other characteristic. Given that I see this as an either/or
issue (either professional communication or bigotry),
I'll take any steps necessary to eliminate the latter.
(As I send out approximately 3-5 Your Offtopic
Posting reminders daily, this shouldn't come as a surprise
to many people, including those who have recently
lost posting privileges.)

Based on my personal inbox, there seems to be a
remarkable amount of confusion about the difference
between disagreeing (with me or others on the list)
and being abusive, rude, or otherwise unprofessional.

Here's an example:
Martian: The sky is green.
Earthling: I disagree. I can see perfectly well that it's blue.
(acceptable)
Earthling: You're clearly an idiot--it's blue and everyone knows that.
(unacceptable)
Earthling: Have you noticed that all Martians are colorblind and
they're threatening to invade the earth as well?
(unacceptable)

Messages sent to me offline with "Eric, I think you're on the
wrong track here" or "Eric, I strongly disagree" or "Eric,
did you really mean to say ..." will be read, seriously
considered, and respectfully responded to. Messages sent to
me with "Eric, you're an idiot" or "Eric, get a life" or
"Eric, lighten up" or "Eric, quit hassling me--I'll post what
I want" will rarely have the desired effect and will, sooner
or later, lead to either a behavior change or suspension from
the list.

Similarly, if you have messages that are marginally
appropriate (as with the ugly incident yesterday) and
ask me if it'd be OK to post it, complete with an explanation
of why you need/want/hope to post the message to
this forum, I'll listen. If you include a note in the message
to the list cogently explaining the relevance to technical
communication (not merely the "interest to people on
the list"), I'll usually buy it. If you just let fly with something
off-the-wall or a "I know this is off-topic, but ...",
I'll be less tolerant. (Note that I see messages at the same
time you do--I do not pre-screen messages, so just because
something appears on the list does not mean I necessarily
approve.)

With that, let's get back to technical communication.
Please comment off-line, not on the list.
Eric

Eric J. Ray RayComm, Inc.
http://www.raycomm.com/ ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

*Award-winning author of several popular computer books
*Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
*Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=